• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Compete

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atennimon

What is the name of your state? Florida

I have a non-compete with a past employee. The employee opened a company that directly competes with my company. He even solicited customers and is doing business with them.

What are the laws that I can enforce to stop this direct contract violation?

BelizeBreeze

There is no way to know how to answer your question if we can't read the contract. However, answer a few questions.

1. How long ago did the employee leave?
2. For how long was the non-compete?
3. What is the distance required in the non-compete?
4. How can you prove the ex-employee is 'stealing' customers?

atennimon

(1)The employee left four months ago and opened his own corporation. Called the clients he had access to and told them our phone numbers changed. He did this with an ex business partner who is now on the run from the law for failure to appear in court for his fourth dui.

(2)The non-compete is valid for 1 year.

(3)The territory was for two counties we predominantly had clients in SW Florida.

(4)I can prove he has his own business and the some of the clients I have re-contacted have stated that he is doing their payroll.

What I want to know is this a criminal case, can he do time for violating a contract? Or is this a civil case that if I win I get to hope he pays me retribution?

If there is no protection, how do I prevent other employees from doing the same thing?

Last edited:

JETX

atennimon said:
What I want to know is this a criminal case, can he do time for violating a contract?
No. This is purely a civil matter.

If there is no protection, how do I prevent other employees from doing the same thing?
You get a local attorney to draw up a valid employment contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">