• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Speeding Ticket - Court Date Tommorrow - Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Askani

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

I was given a ticket for speeding in early September for speeding (my first in my 10 years of driving). My court date is slated for tomorrow. As it's to late to file a continuance or get a lawyer (may be overkill anyway) I figured I’d take my chances. I hope to speak to the prosecutor as my case is being called and see if I can plead it down to a non-moving violation and just pay the $200 fine. If that doesn't work, I'll ask him what he can do for me or ask him for a year deferment. What do you guys think of this strategy (chances for success)? Details of my case are that I was ticketed for speeding (69 in a 45) on the Prospect Expwy (Brooklyn, NY) on the drive home from work. For those who don't know, it's basically an extension of the BQE. Any ideas, comments, suggestions? Thanks.

rmet4nzkx

You have had over 3 months to research your question and sounds like you have made a decision on how to approach your court date. For that reason, I take it there is something you are not telling us, that might result in some other advice But we have no way to answer that withut knowing what it is.
No one here can tell you what the judge will rule although a judge has been known to reduce the charge that is not certain. in every case

Askani

I've pretty much come clean and told everything. There was so much research to do and the date kind of snuck up on me. Just thought I'd ask for some last minute advice before tomorrow. Any thoughts on using the court appointed defender to help or should I just go solo and stick to my plan?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">