• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Clearing the air

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wereasking

What is the name of your state? Washington
An employee was fired for multiple unacceptable performance issues. The fired employee made false SH allegations after learning her job was on the line; these claims were investigated and dismissed by HR. ?What/how much can the employer say legally (perhaps in the staff meeting) about the employees dismissal and about the status of the false allegations being dismissed by HR? This is a small non-union school and the accuser had a loose tongue so many were aware of SH claims. Employer would like to try to limit the defamation of character that has occured.

BelizeBreeze

"[Employee] was let go today and her [his] claims of sexual harrassment have been dealt with according to policy. There will be no further discussion of the issues."

How is that? :D

Beth3

An employer is free to say anything they wish to about the situation but I'd advise them not to. Yes, it can be extremely aggravating having an ex-employee run his/her mouth to one and all, badmouthing the company and making bogus claims. Unfortunately, that's the cost of doing business sometimes. You just have to grit your teeth and rise above it. Sinking to the employee's level will get the employer nowhere.

I agree 100% with Belize. What he's written is all that you should say.

wereasking

Ahhh...revenge could have been sweet, but not with the "rising above" comment. We'll just have to settle for a trouble maker being gone.
Thanks again.

Beth3

I've been there plenty of times - an ex-employee telling former co-workers, friends, and family members some ridiculous story about why he or she was fired. "I was minding my own business, doing a great job, and then those *******s fired me for no reason." Uh huh. :rolleyes:

It's far more important that the employer act professionally and maintain their credibility and stature than share the reasons why an employee was terminated or ever publicly discuss a SH complaint an employee brought, no matter now justified the employer might feel in doing so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">