• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resource Limit & SSI Disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mialea

I have a 19 year old son with autism. He has been collecting benefits from SSI since May.
When he first applied it was $399 per month, then $463 now $651 per month.

My problem is, when filling out these forms with a case manager, I did not put down he had bonds. I was told by the bank they were not traceable, only the person cashing them in with their SSI number. I cashed the ones that only had his name and SSI number in March.
He has bonds totalling $6,700 cash value today $4,884. They are saying we owe them $2,838.These bonds were gifts throughout his lifetime. I understand there is a maximum $2,000 resource limit. My question is all of these bonds have other persons social security numbers on them and different names with his. What do I do. They are withholding his SSI. My husband has been unemployed since May, 2004. I am starting my appeal. I have an appointment the first week of January. I do have a case manager coming with me, but my agency does not know about the SSI laws. I was told I could pay for camp with this money. I know there has to be a way around this. I am lost and can't afford an attorney. Can someone help me.

Thank you.the name of your state? New York, NY

BL

Have you ask for a waiver and reconsideration ? , or if they won't to recoup so much per month until paid off ?

What do you mean they have other peoples names on them ?

Anything that a recipient receives , or has that can be used for CASH , can be applied to the benefits.

Mialea

Each bond is in my disabled sons name, but has also "or" at the bottom in either my husbands or my name. Also each of these bonds does not have my sons social security number on them. They have my husbands, mine, my two other childrens, my mother in law, father in law.

I did make an appointment at SSI for the first week in January. I don't know what type of meeting they would consider this. I am not in a position to pay this back. Do they take that into consideration? I am willing to cash these bonds in to pay for my sons camp which is extremely expensive. Will I still have to pay this money back after I pay for camp?

BL

What did the letter state about time limits for filing appeals ?

You should call them and ask for forms to file for a waiver and reconsideration , and send them in and explain these bonds could be used for your purpose,but want the money to go for camp.

I am the payee of an SSI recipient, and she got a waiver of $3 grand , moneys she won from a wrongful death of her husband.

Try all those avenues .

Mialea

I have 60 days to file an appeal. I guess when I go in January, I can fill out the form "Request for Reconsideration". I was hoping someone could answer me about the legality of the bonds being in my sons name "or" the other names, and not having his SSI number on them. Thanks

BL

Mialea said:
I have 60 days to file an appeal. I guess when I go in January, I can fill out the form "Request for Reconsideration". I was hoping someone could answer me about the legality of the bonds being in my sons name "or" the other names, and not having his SSI number on them. Thanks

I don't know about the legalities, but if SAA considers them assets they will apply them .
If his SS # isn't on them then how did they apply them ?

As for the reconsideration you should request SSA to send you BOTH reconsideration, AND more importantly a waiver form now, to fill out.

Mialea

I would assume they traced the ones I cashed in March, they were in his name only. I did cash them under my SSI number though. I received a letter a few months ago saying that he had bonds in his name. I did not know if they meant the ones I cashed in, or those in my possession. So I took them all in. I do have a case manager for my son, but when it comes to SSI, they really don't know much. They are supposed to be doing some homework for me on this issue, lets see! Its such a shame, if you look at the bonds, they are all his birthday and Christmas. While my other children were getting bikes, sega, etc., this kid was getting bonds.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">