• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! EBay Situation - We are the sellers.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The Terminator

State is Georgia.

Hello:

My husband worked as a personal assistant to a celebrity for 3 yrs, during which, she gifted him with her expired and canceled passport as a keepsake. Stamped canceled/expired in 1995,issued in 1985. Recently, he found it, and thought a big fan might enjoy it, auctioned it on EBay. EBay took the listing, no problem. Indeed, a collector of this star's memorabilia, bid $2,600 for it. Another ''buyer'' asked my husband a lot of probing questions, also asking him to get off Ebay and email him directly. This "buyer" was a lawyer for the celeb, finding out my hubby;s name, email, where he worked, etc. This lawyer DID NOT ID HIMSELF WHILE DOING THIS.

This lawyer sent the winning bidder an email saying that my husband had stolen this passport (untrue, one must file a ''Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport'' known as Form DS-64, which they did not because it was gifted - hubby has other items she signed and gifted him with). No proof of "theft" there.

Here is the email sent to the winning bidder from the lawyer (he did NOT contact Ebay OR hubby with this.)

"Dear jjflen,

This passport was stolen from (SIC) the seller, LS, when he worked as
Ms. Celeb's assistant in the late nineties. She assumed that she had lost
it until we found out that it was being offered for sale on Ebay. We
investigated the matter and found that Mr. S was selling it and we
immediately sent him a demand letter and notice of intent to file criminal
charges. We informed Mr. S that on December 13, 2004, we will be turning this matter over to the FBI, as well as seeking civil remedies. By selling this item, Mr. S will not escape prosecution nor a civil suit, but it was necessary to put potential buyers on notice so that they would have advance knowledge that this property was stolen. I suggest that you do not purchase this item from Mr. S or you will be opening yourself up to legal liability, since we intend to pursue this matter vigorously."

Does this jerk have a case? I mean, the FBI on the matter? Doesn't the US Dept of State handle Passport issues?

We have been told that we can counter-sue this jerk for slander, tortious interference of a sale, and harassment.

What say you? Thanks so much in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">