• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Top Secret/SCI Clearance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mary53

What is the name of your state? CO

I am planning to join the Army and will be up for a top secret clearance. A few months ago, I recieved a 3 month deferred judement for a charge of discharging firearms. This misdemeanor was accidental and very minor and was a violation of city code. This was also my first violation. I completed this deferred judgment and the case has been dismissed.
On my SF-86, I have to answer yes to the fact that I was charged for a firearms offense, and I can explain the circumstances.

1. Would sealing the records prevent the Army and clearance people from seeing the records?
2. Will this kind of charge keep me from obtaining the TS clearance?

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Shay-Pari'e

mary53 said:
What is the name of your state? CO

I am planning to join the Army and will be up for a top secret clearance. A few months ago, I recieved a 3 month deferred judement for a charge of discharging firearms. This misdemeanor was accidental and very minor and was a violation of city code. This was also my first violation. I completed this deferred judgment and the case has been dismissed.
On my SF-86, I have to answer yes to the fact that I was charged for a firearms offense, and I can explain the circumstances.

1. Would sealing the records prevent the Army and clearance people from seeing the records?
2. Will this kind of charge keep me from obtaining the TS clearance?

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

This is nominated for the most idiotic post I have ever seen.

Where is IAAL when you need him?

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=208324

Last edited:

csporluck

no such thing as sealed records when dealing with security clearances.. you may get in more trouble than you think.. think of the other stuff you're hiding, the WILL find it with that investigation...

neelpert1

Someone who actually knows the deal

mary,

just disclose all information on your SF form and make no attempts to cover up any background information. If this truly was dismissed or was a first offense, then you have nothing to worry about.

As soon as you are untruthful, then you put the clearance at risk of being denied. Not being trustworthy is the worst possible offense.

Having held a TS/SCI since 1988, I can say that I know individuals who have tried drugs once, twice, etc. but disclosed this and no longer used them. Same for underage drinking, bankruptcy, etc. All of these attest to character, but investigators take into account maturity gained over time, etc.

Your trustworthiness is what is being evaluated as is your character. The fact that you were "busted once" does not mean that you lack what it takes to get a clearance.

neelpert1

No such thing as a stupid question

--PARIDISE-- said:
This is nominated for the most idiotic post I have ever seen.

Where is IAAL when you need him?

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=208324

The only thing that makes a question stupid is it's response :eek:

This seems like a legitimate post posed by someone that knows little of the security background process. Applying for a clearance by design subjects the applicant to scrutiny not normally applied to the average person. You should see what is involved when one applies for a position within law enforcement.

This is designed to protect the many from the actions of the potentially irresponsible few. Law enforcement, national security information, and the like require the highest moral character along with absolute trustworthiness. Much of a police officer's testimony is trusted as evidence in and of itself.

Next time, try showing some retraint when replying to a new member. :mad:

bob567

TS clearance for a contractor

Hello all,

I received an sf-86 form from my contractor I work for in order to go for a TS clearance. They told me to turn it into the office manager when Im done and he would send it in.
My question is if my company is allowed to and will read through my sf-86 form before they send it, or is it completely confidential between me and the agency doing my investigation?
Also, another question is: if I dont get clearance, do they send a letter to my employer saying why I didnt? Or do only I receive that letter, and the employer just gets a letter saying that I didnt get it.
Lastly, again, if my clearance does not go through, how long do i have to wait before i try again?
Thanks
Bob

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">