• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paid Pregnancy Leave Taken Away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onehypr1

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I am 26 weeks pregnant and was just informed that they are no longer allowing paid pregnancy leave after being employed by my company for 5 years. There are 2 women that work in our office, myself and my co-worker. She has gotten eight weeks paid pregnancy leave for the birth of both of her children. This is my first pregnancy while employed with this company. Can they do this?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, they can. Neither Federal nor Louisiana law requires them to provide paid maternity leave. While they have to provide maternity leave under state law, it does NOT have to be paid leave.

Barring a contract that says otherwise, nothing in the law prohibits an employer from changing their benefit policy as long as any required notice is given. The fact that another employee was able to utilize benefits under the old policy does NOT require them to leave the old policy in place until you have been able to use it.

onehypr1

Sick And Vacation Leave Taken Away

They Have Also Taken Away Our Paid Vacation (2 Weeks) And Sick (1 Week) Leave. We Were Told Upon Hire That We Would Receive These Benefits. Even Though There Is No Written Policy, Can They Do This? Wouldn't This Verbal Agreement Be Binding?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, they can, and no, it wouldn't. Anything they tell you at hire is what they intend to offer at that time. It does not in any way require them to continue offering it into infinity.

The one thing I can offer in your favor is that if I understand Louisiana law correctly, while they do not have to continuing offering any kind of paid vacation, if there is any time that you may have accrued but not yet used, Louisiana is one of the few states where you cannot lose that time. They will have to either allow you to take whatever time you may still have on the books, or pay you for it.

The same does NOT apply to sick time.

Caveat: Louisiana has made some changes to employment law in the last couple of years, so before you go charging to the HR office telling them that they have to allow you to keep or pay any accrued but unused vacation you have, check with your state DOL to be certain that the law my source indicates is still in effect.

onehypr1

Information Appreciated

Thank You For The Informaton. It's Really A Shame That I Have Put Up With So Much To Be Denied My Leave. I've Been Called Names, Told To Wear Short Skirts, Etc. I Think It Is Time I Found A New Job

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just keep in mind that no matter what company you go to, unless you have a contract that says otherwise, if you are an hourly paid employee there are NO circumstances in which the law requires that you be paid for ANY time that you do not work.

Under neither Federal nor Louisiana law does the law require you to be provided with paid vacation, paid sick time, paid maternity leave, paid personal time off, paid time off for voting, or any other type of paid leave. The SOLE exception is that Louisiana law allows you ONE paid day for jury duty. There are NO other circumstances when you have to be paid when you are not actively at work.

While many, if not most, companies still offer such benefits, they are NOT required by law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">