• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

110/65 yeahhhh.. that's bad..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sirkism

What is the name of your state?Virginia Laws..

Apparently, VA is the worst place to be caught speeding. My story is I was going back to VA Beach from Patomic Mills, which is a 4 hour drive away. I was crusing for awhile at a decent 70-80 mph, but then the highway opened up and nobody was in sight, so I continued to push the limit to about.. yeah.. 110. I caught up to some cars, and I stayed in the far left lane, which stayed clear all the way down, so I just kept going. Next thing you know the moment I slightly passed a police officer two lanes to my right, BAM lights when on, I pulled over on the right shoulder and got issued a summons. It says 110/65 (Wreckless) Now, I'm 18, had my license for maybe a year and a half, I have the cleanest record out of everyone in my household.

Now I don't know if this makes it worse, but the car I was driving did not belong to me, it belonged to my passenger in the bar, she was tired and didn't like driving on the highway. My question here is, should I bring her to let them know that the car belonged to her? Because I don't want to show up in court and then they hit me with a grand theft auto, because I'm not listed as a car owner to that vehicle.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get slapped hard in the face for this one, but honestly, is there possible jailtime if I show up for the summons in Hampton? Or because I have a clear record, with no prior offences is there a slight slight chance that they'll let me go?

rmet4nzkx

Sorry, I have to catch my breath from LMAO,
Whew!
Yes, VA is very strict on speeding laws and for some reason, lots of people drive over 80 and for some reason get caught.

Butt you my friend, have no excuse or leg to stand on.

Your inexperience shows. You need to learn early what a cruiser looks like from afar. You passed one at 110, did you think he was going to blink?

Search the forum and you will soon see the consequences of your actions, which most likely will include fines, suspension and possibly jail. If your frined did not report her vehicle stolen you should be ok since they were with you at the time, but bring them for support if you like. See an attorney and figure you will be at least walking and taking the bus for a while in addition to some hefty fines.

110/65 - yes there is a STRONG possibility of jail time for this ticket. As I've said elsewhere on this forum, it's a CRIMINAL charge known as a Class ONE Misdemeanor. 12 months jail, $2500 fine and 6 month suspension of license is the max for this. But worst than all that is, upon conviction, you now got a rap sheet. Go looking for a job and see what they find. Try to get a security clearance. Heck, try to even rent a car now. Fact is, you need a lawyer on this one ASAP. In fact, going that fast, I'm surprised they didn't arrest you on the spot.

Good luck.

sirkism

Well alright, since we have gotten that cleared up, I have another question. With all joking aside, can you still join the navy with a rap sheet? =\

Good to see you kept your sense of humor.

If the Navy is out, there's always work for a towel boy in Cancun -- not bad alternate duty.

EZ2CYIO

Expect the worst & hope for the best

reckless/speeding charge....................125/55
jailtime received................................90 days/65 days suspended
license suspended.............................6 months
fine levied........................................$1600
legal representation...........................$1000
total increase in insurance premiums.....$TBD
this never ever happening again...........PRICELESS!

BTW, military recruiters are known for putting in 'waivers' for things that are out of the norm or that may be questionable for a new recruit, they usually try to do ANYTHING to get you in!

Last edited:

Lost in Alabama

How did you do that?

sirkism said:
What is the name of your state?Virginia Laws..

Apparently, VA is the worst place to be caught speeding. My story is I was going back to VA Beach from Patomic Mills, which is a 4 hour drive away. I was crusing for awhile at a decent 70-80 mph, but then the highway opened up and nobody was in sight, so I continued to push the limit to about.. yeah.. 110. I caught up to some cars, and I stayed in the far left lane, which stayed clear all the way down, so I just kept going. Next thing you know the moment I slightly passed a police officer two lanes to my right, BAM lights when on, I pulled over on the right shoulder and got issued a summons. It says 110/65 (Wreckless) Now, I'm 18, had my license for maybe a year and a half, I have the cleanest record out of everyone in my household.

Now I don't know if this makes it worse, but the car I was driving did not belong to me, it belonged to my passenger in the bar, she was tired and didn't like driving on the highway. My question here is, should I bring her to let them know that the car belonged to her? Because I don't want to show up in court and then they hit me with a grand theft auto, because I'm not listed as a car owner to that vehicle.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get slapped hard in the face for this one, but honestly, is there possible jailtime if I show up for the summons in Hampton? Or because I have a clear record, with no prior offences is there a slight slight chance that they'll let me go?
How the heck do you do 110 on a clear freeway (I-64?) in HAMPTON? I figure, you opened up just past Ft Eustis, where it becomes a three lane road. But still, did the beautiful view of the Walmart make you want accelerate near Patrick Henry Mall? Dude, you need to check out the possibilities of public transportation to get you to and from Mt. Trashmore. You won't be driving for a while. The BEST thing you can do IS HIRE AN ATTORNEY NOW. That is your only chance of surviving this w/ your nuts intact. Other than that, you will be very fit from riding a bike to your local job for the next 5 years (after you get probation).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">