• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Dead docketed" case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wingnut97

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia
I received a citation for a traffic light violation and the case was "dead docketed". How long does the case stay on the dead docket before it is closed?

tipdrill

It always stays. They can re open it at any time if they wish, however not likely after a couple of years. This was Georgia's answer to dropping or dismissing charges.

BTW, did a lawyer help you with this?

wingnut97

I did not have an attorney. When I went to court, the officer was not present and the judge dead docketed the case.

I would hope that there is a date at which the case would be closed, however I’ve done some research on dead docketing and have not yet found a reference that indicates any time limits. No matter how unlikely, it’s still unsettling to think that an old traffic ticket could potentially be reinstated years from now by a bored judge or a city hoping to raise some cash.

I believe I would ultimately win this case (after all, that’s why I went to court) but it would be reassuring to know that I’ll never have to face this issue again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">