• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401K Payout Distribution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

buttrfly

What is the name of your state? California

I quit my job a month and a half ago and submitted my request for withdrawl a week before leaving. I was told by the employer that I should receive my 401K payout after all the information is sent to the professional consultants and all transactions have been calculated and accounts have been updated. Since the consultant company say that they only issue payments once a month I will have to wait.
How long does the previous employer have to pay me all my vested amount starting from the day I quit? Please help because I am getting no answers from the previous employer or the consultant company. Thank you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It depends entirely on the plan document. Some allow for distribution immediately (allowing, of course, for enough time for administration, mailing etc.). Others only allow for it monthly, quarterly, semi-annually or even annually. There is no set rule that applies to all employers.

buttrfly

cbg -

Thanks for the info.
Being told that accounts have been updated on November 30 and to allow 7-10 days for processing, should I receive payment at least in a week or so? Just curious because I was previously told something and now I'm left with no response at all. Thank you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
IF the accounts were updated on November 30, then yes I would agree that sometime within the next week or so you should see the payment. But in my experience it's usually more like 10-15 days for processing in actual practice. And this time of year, who knows how long for mailing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">