• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Engineering Civil & Criminal Liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jondoeengineer

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?I'm afraid to offer the name of my state as the specifics of my question may reveal my identity.

I am an engineer working for an engineering firm. Our firm was working on a project in another state. While I am a licensed engineer in my home state and not the state we're doing the project in, I have not yet stamped any drawings in any state as I do not feel ready quite yet.

I was primarily responsible for some drafting and design work on some of the equipment on this project. One of the PE's I work for reviewed and stamped the plans. After everything was completed and installed I realized I had made a mistake and inadvertently not followed the "code". It was an error in ignorance for which I feel horrible. Knowing I'd made a mistake, I immmediately pointed this out to my boss and his boss in hopes that we could contact our customer and fix the problem. Granted, it would have cost a bit, but we've fixed more expensive mistakes before. It's everyone's opinion but mine that the ommission is minor and won't cause any problems. I agree that problems are UNLIKELY to arise, but if they do, in my opinion, the system won't operate as we had planned. I've written several e-mails on this to my bosses and have shown them (using other references) why I think this needs to be fixed. I've pretty much been told that they are willing to accept the risk if any liability should ever arise.

Well, this doesn't make me feel any better. I alway try to do a good job and always try to do the right thing. It really angers me that I can't get anyone to agree with me. The most important reason I brought this up to my superiors is that I never want to hide a mistake. Also, I don't want anyone to get hurt. And, I don't want to be sued or sent to jail. In the worst case, I think I could stand being sued. But, I don't know what I can do at this point to limit my exposure criminally? Being as I didn't stamp the drawing, could I be sent to jail?

I feel horrible and don't even feel like continuing to work in this profession. I know everyone makes mistakes, and I've done just about everything I can to fix this. But I feel like now that I've made a mistake like this, I'm not worthy to be able to do this anymore.

Can someone please help me out here? This is tearing me up inside. I just want to do the right thing.

First off...as far as legal liability is concerned, the person who stamps the drawings takes the rap. That's the whole reason for the stamp. If anyone goes to jail over this, that's the guy.

Second, you've brought your mistake to the attention of your bosses. Job wise, you've done what's expected of you. Keep copies of your emails just in case.

Third...morally...if your mistake was not just a "whoops, missed the code requirements", but may actually result in someone being injured....then you have to wrestle with your own morality as far as bringing it to the attention of someone outside your company. Is there a building inspector involved? An engineer at the customer? There are laws that are intended to protect "whistle blowers", but realize that you're probably giving up your career if you do this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">