• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you be pulled over for a suspended license?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kavenien

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Background:
Was pulled over Monday. Was informed that my license was suspended for not filing a Certificate of Compliance (proof of insurance at the time) for an accident in '03. Fine. I'm acquiring the information (again) and will be able to clear up the suspension. That's taken care (soon).

Problem:
The reason given for pulling me over was that the officer ran the plate of my vehicle and it returned the suspended license information. A ticket was issued for "Operating without a valid license". No other reason or ticket was given.

Question:
I thought you could only be pulled over if you committed a moving violation or had expired/missing plates? What if someone else had been driving the vehicle (meaning they pulled someone over for nothing)?

I want to know if I can fight this. It seems odd that they can just run plates and pull people over because the operator might be the suspended owner.

kdawg0409

My guess if you tried to argue the officer would probably say he had probable cause to pull you over. It's a very vague aqusation, and is hard to fight

S

seniorjudge

Can you be pulled over for a suspended license?

Didn't you answer that question yourself?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">