• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TTicketing/ towing handicapped on privet property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dawnfair

Ticketing/ towing handicapped on private property

What is the name of your state? California

I work down town for a public transit agency. We have very limited employee parking. We do ticket and tow for 3 parking violations. I have reserved a section of the parking lot for carpooling. Any employee can register with me and I will give them a carpooling plaque to park in this reserved area. My question is what if a handicapped employee (with a handicapped placard) parks in this reserved area without a carpooling sticker/placard. Do I have the right to ticket and tow?

DMV says they can park:
* In parking spaces with the International Symbol of Access (wheelchair symbol).
* Next to a blue curb authorized for handicap parking.
* Next to a green curb (green curbs are limited time parking) for as long as you wish.
* At an on-street metered parking space at no charge.
* In an area which indicates it requires a resident or merchant permit.

Our car pool spots are not indicated in the above. Help

Last edited:

dawnfair

Yes there are 2 spaces next to the carpool only spaces (8 spaces)

S

seniorjudge

Public libraries cannot fine you!

You Are Guilty said:
Are there any handicapped-only spots elsewhere in the lot?
Poster, where are the hadicapped spots in relation to the spots you want to control? I mean, in relation to the nearest door to the building.

How many employees and how many spots?

If I am handicapped and ask for a carpool spot, what do I have to show? Or, I guess, what does anyone have to show?

But I guess here is the main question: Where would you get the right to ticket a vehicle? Are you government?

This is along the same lines as asking the public library where they get the right to fine. They do not have such a right!

dawnfair

Dear Senior Judge,

Employees well over 4000. We are a public transit agency with both bus and light rail drivers. Only about 200 Parking spaces total in out 4 lots (that does not include the ones on the street) Our employer encourages us to use our own services (bus and rail) mass transit.No cost to employees

To get a carpool tag you must come by my office and register your name and your other carpool riders. All I ask for is Name, employee # and a phone # I can reach the driver of the car with. I do not ask if the person is handicapped. This also registers you for a guaranteed ride home if your driver needs to leave for an emergency.

The handicapped spots are right next to the carpool spots. There are also other handicapped spots closer to the buildings on the street.

We are not considered government. We are a public agency and considered our own district. A ticket does not have a fine attached however by our employment agreement if you get 3 tickets in a year we have the right to tow you. Also if you park so a bus can not leave the lot we can tow you immediately. Hope this helps

You Are Guilty

I'll have to do some reading, but there are federal rules with regard to handicapped parking. I'm not sure whether your lot would qualify (i.e. be subject to the rules), but I'm leaning towards yes. In which case, the 2 handicapped spots there already may not be sufficient. Why not created a "handicapped carpool spot" and not worry about the whole mess?

Or better yet, just shoot all those pesky handicapped people who think they can just park whereever they want. How are you supposed to even know if they're really handicapped to begin with anyway?

CdwJava

If the parking is not general access parking, you may virtually do what you wish. But! You had best have proper signage per CVC 22658 indicating that parking in specific spaces can result in having your vehicle towed! And these signs have to be properyl posted at the entrances to the lot.

I would think that towing the vehicle belonging to a handicapped employee would be a P.R. problem.

Under what authority would you tow the vehicle? I would be very, very wary of this one ... lawsuits can and do fly over that sort of thing.

And check CVC 22511.5 for the places where a vehicle with a handicap placard can park.

- Carl

S

seniorjudge

dawnfair said:
We are not considered government. We are a public agency and considered our own district.
That sounds like government to me. Anyway, if you have such a system, you would probably need a way for someone to plead "not guilty" and have a fair hearing before they are punished.

Just a thought.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">