• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Must I go from SSI to Early SS?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

El Gringo

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

I'm 62 (63 in March), and on SSI. I had planned to stay on SSI (with Medicaid) until eligible for full SS benefits at 65+10months. Now I receive notice that I was supposed to apply for early SS and must now. I don't remember being told this, nor reading it. What I get from SSA is vague. Can anyone please help explain if this is so? Thanks.

tigger22472

You need to call the 800 number and/or the caseworker involved in the case. Without actually seeing what the letter said it's hard to say on a message board and even then SS letters are sometimes hard to understand.

El Gringo

The original letter was a bit scary, telling me that my SSI eligibility was being reviewed and that I had an appointment. I wasn't going to be able to get to the appointment, so I called the guy.

He simply said that I was supposed to have applied for early SS and I responded that I hadn't known that nor read it anywhere. He told me it probably was in the first application I filled out (years ago and not really knowing what I was doing, in pain and confusion).

He said we could do it by mail, took some info over the phone and sent me a form that I am to return along with my birth certificate. The form lists my vitals, says I must report earnings (none) and any pension or annuity (also none), not covered by SS.

It came with a cover letter telling me to include my birth certificate and spaces for dates to do this, the dates not being filled in.

Tom

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">