• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bullying in the workplace/ hostile work environment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Traceyluvv

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Florida

I am having trouble etermining what is and is not legally exceptable regarding bullying in the workplace.

In my current positon my boss is very type "A" and high strung. When her home life becomes difficult she takes it out on myself and other staff, demanding work, barking orders, slaming doors, leaving very terse phone messages and sending rude emails. Although occassional instances of this nature are more or less forgettable, consatnt behavior of this nature has impacted my health.

I now have physical problems including an issue yet to be resolved in my back as a result of tension and the co-pays are adding up. Not to mention she has triggered levels of rage in me I have never seen before sending me to seek psychiatric help.

She appears to keep records of EVERYTHING ahe asks me to do and documents when she received it, while not documenting verbal converstions regarding the directive. Gives deadlines, says the dealine is not important, then changes her mind and becomes irritated when the work is not done. Offers comp time for extra work, then complains that myseld and others do not work enough.

Furthermore, my boss has questioned a co-worker about our interaction outside of the workplace.

Another concern I take great issue with is her reference to me dressing provacatively or "strutting my stuff" in an attempt to get mens attention - I am a lesbian and that reference could not be further from the truth.

I enjoy the functions of my position, but to go to Human Resources or my boss' supervisor would make for an even more uncomfortable work environment based on observations from other employees.

Do I have any rights in this situation?

We had a verbal confrontation on the phone yesterday and I snapped from the stress. i am worried that my job may now be in jeapordy although the only real insubordination was my assertiveness and raised voice. I see in retrospect that I should have been the bigger person, but one can only take do much abuse. Please let me know if I have any legal rights regarding these concerns.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nothing you describe gives you any legal recourse.

A hostile work environment exists when you are being subjected to either sexual harassment or illegal discrimination under Title VII and its related laws (race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, pregnancy, or because you are over 40). It does not occur because of an uncomfortable or negative atmosphere, no matter how unpleasant the situation may be.

What you describe may well be uncomfortable, and I am not unsympathetic. But it does not rise to the level of illegality. Your recourse is to either report what is happening to upper management and/or HR and hope they take action (while they most certainly should, since the boss is not doing anything illegal they are not required under the law to do so) or find another job with a more sympathetic atmosphere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">