• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I stand firm?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stressisin

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I work for an at will employer. My assistent was promoted within the company. I held interviews with a three person pannel to fill the position. The number one person was given the job. That person also worked for me so I was left with another opening. The number two person (#2) in the interview has only been with the company 2 years and the number 3 person (#3) has been with the company 10 years. The #2 person worked for me directly and the # 3 person works in another department. I have worked with the #3 person on other projects and found that person tends to do whatever they want and not follow instruction. The #3 person also is having issues with their current supervisor, and there is a history of rumers associated with the #3 person that I real have no desire to look into. My issue is. I want to hire the #2 person in the interview. My boss said I need to offer the job the #3 person. I do not want to hire the #3 person. I feel I would be setting my self up to fail. If I don't can I be fired? What to do, what to do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Believe me, anyone who has ever hired anyone feels your pain. However, the fact remains that your boss has decided he wants #3 in the position, and the boss is the boss. Yes, if you insist on hiring #2, you can be fired.

Beth3

Unless you've already done this, I suggest you schedule time to meet with your boss and in a very rationale manner, explain why you don't want to hire #3 and wish to hire #2. Make a business case for the decision.

But the bottom line is you take orders from those above you. If your boss insists you hire #3, that's it. If you refuse, he's free to terminate you for insubordination.

Beth3

By the way, this decision could be out of your boss's hands too. It's quite possible a senior exec has dictated that #3 will be offered the job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">