• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer says I put in 2weeks notice, I didn't

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

myfiero67

What is the name of your state?Illinois

I have a very confusing problem.I was promoted for a part-time asscociate to a Full-time associate 67 miles away from home(ditance is 1 way).I went to this store because the company knew I wanted to get promoted and to do so you had to wrok your way up,so I took the gig.After about 7 months of working at that store the GM,Dm amd Myself thought it was time for me to get going in the right direction since I had proven myself to the company.The DM drew up a career development plan for me, and was two email it to my GM. They even gave me 2 more dollars an hour to show good faith.For 2 months after that conversation my GM had blown off the whole thing.I have voiced concerns with the way the stores operations were running since this compaby is big into the whole "Open door Policy" to be able to voice concerns and have the GM solve problems going on in the work place.Basically Managers weren't doing there jobs and making me do most of there work.It got to the point where I was being blamed for things done when I wasn't there.The only thing to do was to take pictures of what I was doing and how I left it.Anyways during one of these behind the door conversations with 2 managers I expressed my concerns with them I told them that if things weren't going to change that I was going to go in another direction and if It came to this I would give them a 2 weeks notice.After i had a day to ponder the thought of leaving a company that I have worked for and put a lot of effort in,that leaving wasn't in my best interests.The next day I come in to find I was taken off the schedule in a week.Confused of the mistake I went to the GM and asked her why I wasn't on the schedule?? She told me that "They" had put in my 2 weeks notice. Again,Confused I told her I did no such thing that I had never put anything in writing and that I still wanted to work there.She told me that it was too late it was put already put in and I would have to talk to Human Resources,which I did and told them the same that I never put anything in writing nor did I verbally say that.She told me thats all she knew and it was the GMs desison.I told people at my work about this and they told me that If i never put anything in writing and wasn't fired that they couldn't do that.So it comes down to my word vs. her word.the facts are I never put anything in writing.Can they do this?? Can I sue them for wrongfully let go?? Can I collect unemployment?? What can I do?? I keep telling myself I did nothing wrong they put words in my mouth I never said.PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's never a good idea to tell your boss that if....then I might have to give my notice, because guess what? They're likely to say fine, go.

Which is what happened here. No, you cannot sue them for wrongful termination - this is not even close to a wrongful term.

The people in your office are wrong. Nothing in the law says you have to put a notice in writing, so the fact that you didn't give a written notice doesn't do you any good. They can still tell you to leave.

Whether you can collect unemployment is going to be very situation and state specific - all you can do is apply and see what the state says.

I agree 100% with what cbg posted. Also, I am in Illinois and if your ex-employer tells them you quit, it's going to be next to impossible for you to collect unemployment. Not that you shouldn't try...be upfront, tell the truth, act professionally, don't get angry or fly off the handle, give them all the facts and the details, but be prepared not to win, because that is most likely what will happen. You can, of course, appeal the decision if you lose, but IL tends to get more employer-friendly as the appeals process progresses, especially in a situation like this where it is basically your word against theirs...and let's face it, there were TWO of them in the meeting. they most certainly will BOTH testify that they heard you resign. This comes down to their word against yours and you're probably going to be without unemployment.

Let this be a lesson to you...NEVER NEVER NEVER even remotely threaten to quit unless you are prepared for them to "accept your resignation" immediately.

Good luck.

myfiero67

All Wrong

I went to the unemployment office and 2 weeks later I found out that I was approved for unemployment.So Thank you to my employer I am Now enjoying this relaxing time that I now have. :) :) :)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You do understand, don't you, that being approved for unemployment does NOT mean that you were wrongfully terminated? The two have nothing whatsoever to do with each other. If you were approved for UI, it means that your employment was termed for a reason that did not disqualify you for benefits.

Wrongful termination is a totally different thing, and the UI office does not have anything to do with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">