• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discharged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mrslee

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts...I was discharged on november 19th from a large brokerage firm that I have been with for almost 9 years. To make a long story short, I was promoted, yet again, to a position in this office. The Branch Manager and I did not really see eye to eye, he needed to find a reason to fire me so he came up with a story about me approving items for my own account, which is so untrue. I have applied for UI benefits and should hear something very soon. I was simply called in to his office and told because I was approving items for my own account without manager approval that I was fired. I have only worked in this office for 3 months...I actually called my previous manager at the office I worked at just prior to transferring here...he was to say the least shocked. I have an impeccable employment record, rave reviews every year that are in my personnel file and I have been promoted 3 times in the last 8 1/2 years. I have never had a warning about anything during my career and just want to know what my chances are of getting UI benefits solely on this managers dislike for me. Thanks for any input.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your manager does not decide whether or not you get UI benefits; the state of Massachusetts does. The state is pre-disposed to grant benefits UNLESS the manager is able to come up with a creditable reason why you should not receive them. Assuming your employer contests benefits, which they may or may not, it will come down to whether or not your manager is able to convince the adjudicator that you were guilty of misconduct. As I said, the burden of proof is on your employer, not you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">