• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Profiting Off Hiring Employees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JennHy

What is the name of your state?TN :

Would it be legal for an employee, such as a temporary foreman for a factory, to hire new employees and charge them a fee, making a profit?

Beth3

It's not illegal per se but it is grossly unethical. A temporary forman (you, I presume) wants to make hiring new employees contingent upon the new employees giving you a "kickback"? If you haven't thought of it in those terms, that's EXACTLY how you should be thinking of it.

I expect the employer will have a considerable amount to say on the subject when they find out what the temporary forman is up to. :mad:

JennHy

Thank you for your reply, Beth. And NO NO NO!! It is not me! It is a suspected foreman at the factory where I work that we think is taking money from new employees. My coworkers and I have no proof that this is going on, but there is MUCH here-say that this is happening. We aren't really sure what to do about it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Funny how different people interpret things. I read the post to indicate that Jenny had been required to pay such a kickback.

Jenny, have any of the new employees confirmed that this is happening?

Beth3

I suggest you share your concerns with the appropriate person in management and then stay out of it. Management will need to investigate and handle it from there.

If I had a supervisor doing this, I would be incredibly grateful if an employee gave me a "heads up" so management could look into it. I can tell you if I discovered this was happening, that supervisor would be gone so fast it'd make your head spin :eek: and all the employees would be repaid by the company. Something like this has the potential to be unbelievably damaging to an employer's reputation.

Sorry I thought it was you, Jenny. Your question was phrased in a manner that made it appear the writer was contemplating doing this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">