• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding in Tennessee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

striker008

What is the name of your state? I live in Missouri, but the ticket was in Tennessee.

Today (12/16/04) I received a speeding ticket at about 6:00. I was traveling down the Interstate through Clarksville, Tennessee in the outside lane going 75mph in a 70mph zone, and had a guy in an Envoy pass me at around 90 in the inside lane. I saw the cops lights go on (who was in the center median), and I thought the cop was going after the Envoy. I went over the hill, and the lights dissappeared, then all of the sudden the cop flew over the hill, and pulled right up behind me. He pulled me over and gave me a ticket for 88mph. I told him that was impossible, and asked if he was sure that it was me. He said that he "has never lied in his job". I asked him twice to see the radar gun, but he told me that I couldn't. First, is that permissible? Second, I asked him if I could read the ticket, and he told me that I had to read the ticket quickly because he was cold.

I have no clue what to do. I am 20 years old and I received my first in-state ticket last May, and I really don't want another one on my record. (esp. one for way over what I was doing) What should I do about this? Should I go to court, and explain the story to the judge? Or, should I hire an attorney to plead my case or claim equipment failure? Or should I just accept the ticket?

Shay-Pari'e

striker008 said:
What is the name of your state? I live in Missouri, but the ticket was in Tennessee.

Today (12/16/04) I received a speeding ticket at about 6:00. I was traveling down the Interstate through Clarksville, Tennessee in the outside lane going 75mph in a 70mph zone, and had a guy in an Envoy pass me at around 90 in the inside lane. I saw the cops lights go on (who was in the center median), and I thought the cop was going after the Envoy. I went over the hill, and the lights dissappeared, then all of the sudden the cop flew over the hill, and pulled right up behind me. He pulled me over and gave me a ticket for 88mph. I told him that was impossible, and asked if he was sure that it was me. He said that he "has never lied in his job". I asked him twice to see the radar gun, but he told me that I couldn't. First, is that permissible? Second, I asked him if I could read the ticket, and he told me that I had to read the ticket quickly because he was cold.

I have no clue what to do. I am 20 years old and I received my first in-state ticket last May, and I really don't want another one on my record. (esp. one for way over what I was doing) What should I do about this? Should I go to court, and explain the story to the judge? Or, should I hire an attorney to plead my case or claim equipment failure? Or should I just accept the ticket?
Do you have a legal question?

The judge has probably heard that story a million times (true on not) and is one good reason to stay out of the left lane unless passing.

Two speeding tickets in less than 12 mo for someone in your age group will probably be relatively expensive on you insurance so a lawyer coul be a good investment to minimize the hit.

I suspect your best shot would be through a local lawyer. Give a few a call to see the cost and chance to reduce the charge. Then check to see what an 88 in a 70 will do to your licence points and insurance when it gets back to MO. Your insurance Co. and local DMV should be able to answer those questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">