• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit and run unattended vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

laxp

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

hi my hubby was backing out a car in a parking lot and has touched a parked vehicle.he felt a small jerk but he didnt realize he hit a car.but next day a police officer called n said my hubby had hit a car n fled the scene of accident.my hubby said sorry n told he didnt realize that n if he had he wud have stopped immediately.but the police got my hubby insurance details n DL details.the police office jus told my hubby has made a scratch on the other vehicle.my hubby said heill pay fully for the damages.in two days we got a summon for hit and run unattended but nothing was mentioned in teh accident type n the boxes PD, Injury ,endanger life r property were not checked.there was court date and time given.we reported incident to our insurance company.its been 7 days and we havent heard from the other hit party.when i called court they said sentence will be 1000$ and/or 90 days in jail.We were very shocked.We havent approched attorney.IF we call up the party whose car we hit and ask sorry n agreed to pay the damage will the case be dropped or stll we would have to go to teh court.Even if we go will be just come out with only fine and not any jail sentence.Should i consult a local attorney regarding this?Pleaaase reply soon

You Are Guilty

laxp said:
What is the name of your state? Minnesota

hi my hubby was backing out a car in a parking lot and has touched a parked vehicle.he felt a small jerk but he didnt realize he hit a car.but next day a police officer called n said my hubby had hit a car n fled the scene of accident.my hubby said sorry n told he didnt realize that n if he had he wud have stopped immediately.but the police got my hubby insurance details n DL details.the police office jus told my hubby has made a scratch on the other vehicle.my hubby said heill pay fully for the damages.in two days we got a summon for hit and run unattended but nothing was mentioned in teh accident type n the boxes PD, Injury ,endanger life r property were not checked.there was court date and time given.we reported incident to our insurance company.its been 7 days and we havent heard from the other hit party.when i called court they said sentence will be 1000$ and/or 90 days in jail.We were very shocked.We havent approched attorney.IF we call up the party whose car we hit and ask sorry n agreed to pay the damage will the case be dropped or stll we would have to go to teh court.Even if we go will be just come out with only fine and not any jail sentence.Should i consult a local attorney regarding this?Pleaaase reply soon
The state, not the other party, is prosecuting you for the hit-and-run, so settling with the other party does not guarantee that the case will be dropped. (It can't hurt though).

While I doubt he'd end up with jail time over this, you'll still have to go to the court date, in which case a lawyer is always a good idea. Your insurance company might have to provide one for "free" (ignoring that premiums are far from free) so read your contract and call your agent.

And when it's all said and done, sign hubby up for some driving lessons - there's no excuse for even "scratching" a car and not being aware of it. What if it was a small child?

laxp

thanks!!

hi thanks ...surely my hubby will be very very careful in the future and i have been worried very much about jail sentence and we will be telling our heartfelt sorry to the other party and take care of the damage how small or big it is.Thanks a lot for ur reply and concern.It meant a lot to my mental peace coz i have been thinking and worrying 24 hrs abt teh jail sentence for the past 4 days.Thanks...

engtrak

thanks!!

hi thanks ...surely my hubby will be very very careful in the future and i have been worried very much about jail sentence and we will be telling our heartfelt sorry to the other party and take care of the damage how small or big it is.Thanks a lot for ur reply and concern.It meant a lot to my mental peace coz i have been thinking and worrying 24 hrs abt teh jail sentence for the past 4 days.Thanks...
how was it resolved with the court?

engtrak

This thread is 15 YEARS OLD! Do not post to dead threads! The original poster has never returned. Again...Do not post to old thread (over a month with no new postings by the OP)
i agree its 15 years old post.
it will help for somebody with the same problem.

Just Blue

i agree its 15 years old post.
it will help for somebody with the same problem.
No. It is not. Do NOT post to old thread. As a matter of fact do not try and advise others. Considering what you stated in your, now deleted, thread you are not really in position to advise others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">