• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MN Appeal Process Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jstreet

What is the name of your state?Minnesota

To make an extremly long story short...
I have been wrongfully terminated after being subjected to illegal disability discrimination, harassment, and illegal retalliation. I filed charges with the MDHR, my employer refuted the charges, I responded, the MDHR has decided to investigate.

After termination I filed for unemployment, told my side, and after my employer told his side, it was decided in my favor.

I have now been notified that my employer is appealing. I am terrified of what will happen. Part of my disability is that I suffer from severe anxiety attacks. If I have to sit in a room and debate with this man, it will be more than I can stand. I know that my doctor will write a request for reasonable accomodations. Although I don't know if asking to not have to be in the same room with him is a reasonable accomodation? Can I have my doctor make reasonable accomodation request for the hearing?

Also, I do have an attorney that is helping me through the case with the MDHR. He says he will help me with the unemployment hearing, but he is very expensive ($32,000 so far) and I think it would end up costing me more than the $7500 worth of UC that I am entitled to. Is it nessasary to have an attorney help with the hearing?

Thank you in advance!

rscrd

hearing

I know the fear that you have, and when most people say that the employer will always win, it doesn't help your confidence. Personally, I did not have an attorney at my appeal hearing. I prepared by going into a site for the hearing process, it explained what was going to happen step by step. What could be said etc. After winning the appeal, the company filed to appeal the appeal. I ended up writing a brief as to why I believed the appeal should have been in my favor and 3 weeks later I was contacted to say the company has dropped the appeal of the appeal. To say that I stayed scared until the 20 days were up for any further action is an understatement, my best advice, dont give up, go through the entire process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">