• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possesion of Marijuana, first time convicted.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EnglishJackass

What is the name of your state? Florida

Basically got pulled for speeding in my friends car. The cop said he smelt marijuana and he searched the car. He found like 2 grams and started to question my friend (the driver). Basically my friend told the cop it was m **** and I was the one smoking it. This is not true but I was confused when he came to question me. The cop was just trying to confuse me and now hes saying I admitted to the cop that it was my weed. This is not true. I got arrested for possesion whilst my friend drove away.....How can my friend just drive off when im in cuffs, he had smoked shouldn't he of been charged for a DUI? Should I ignore this and plead guilty to the judge? Or should I fight the case and try and get away with it and bring my ******* friend down with me? And what is the worst what can happen to me?

rmet4nzkx

Are you smoking now?
Half of what you state doesn't make much sense.
If you weren't smoking you shouldn't have been confused. Just because they questioned the two of you separately so you didn't have time to come up with a story doesn't mean that your "condusion" isn't a lie, It is pretty simple, you answer the questions, honestly. If it wasn't yours or you were not smoking or under the influende, then how confusing is "no" It is only confusing if you have to lie. :rolleyes:
When you go to court, tell the truth.

They usually cite the driver of the car, so you must have been very high and/or very stupid.

BTW, they smelled the MJ so had permission to search and needless to say, found your stash.

EnglishJackass

We both smoked and we were driving to our friends house, we were both high when we got pulled. My friend told the cop that "It has nothing to do with me, but I can take some of the blame." It was under my seat to so the cop obviously thought it was me. I never said at any point it is my weed, he asked me who bought it, and I said boht of us. What I don't get is I got charged for possesion. And my friend got away with a speeding ticket, shouldn't he have been charged for DUI? All I want to know is whats the worst thing what can happen to me, Im charged with possesion under 20 grams, and I have never been in trouble with the law ever.

rmet4nzkx

EnglishJackass said:
We both smoked and we were driving to our friends house, we were both high when we got pulled. My friend told the cop that "It has nothing to do with me, but I can take some of the blame." It was under my seat to so the cop obviously thought it was me. I never said at any point it is my weed, he asked me who bought it, and I said boht of us. What I don't get is I got charged for possesion. And my friend got away with a speeding ticket, shouldn't he have been charged for DUI? All I want to know is whats the worst thing what can happen to me, Im charged with possesion under 20 grams, and I have never been in trouble with the law ever.
Well your story is a little different now. Your friend got a speeding ticket, maybe he wasn't as high as you, told more of the truth or not as confussed as you, thus not under the influence. You both got cited, you were smoking and you had possession.
Florida Marijuana Laws

Possession:
20 g or less: 0-1 years; $1,000 Misdemeanor
More than 20 g: up to 5 years; $5,000 Felony
Possession of paraphernalia: 0-1 years; $1,000
Sale (any amount): up to 5 years; $5,000
Sale to minor: 15 years; $10,000
Sale within 1,000 ft of school, public housing project, or public park:
years; $10,000

Trafficking:
More than 100 lbs. up to 2,000 lbs: $25,000
Possession of over 20 grams is assumed to indicate intent to distribute Driver's license suspension: 6 months
Professional licenses suspension
A vehicle can be confiscated for any felony amount

JETX

EnglishJackass said:
It was under my seat to so the cop obviously thought it was me.
Okay, lets see if I have this right... you admit to both of you smoking and the drugs were found under YOUR seat, right??? So, the FACTS are either that it was your drugs (or at least under YOUR control) or the driver somehow reached across the vehicle and was still able to reach under YOUR seat to access the drugs. Gee, it sounds to me like the officer was correct in 'assuming' that this was YOUR drugs, huh??

I never said at any point it is my weed, he asked me who bought it, and I said boht of us.
And you were probably meaning who was their when it was bought.... and your friend was able to correctly answer the questions that YOU provided the money, YOU were the one who paid, YOU were the one who took possession.... and YOU were the one who put the drugs under YOUR seat. Makes sense, huh??

What I don't get is I got charged for possesion.
And maybe the above helps you 'get it'.

And my friend got away with a speeding ticket, shouldn't he have been charged for DUI?
From your post, it sounds like that might have been possible... however, there is nothing wrong with the officer not agreeing with your opinion.

JETX

EnglishJackass said:
Whats the worst what can happen to me, Im 16 years old
The 'worse' that can happen to you is... you could be sent to juvenile incarceration until you are 18. However, that is EXTREMELY unlikely.

will this ruin my life?
If you let it, it can. If you learn from it and take control of your life, it won't.

JETX

EnglishJackass said:
Im definitly going to quit, but whats the most likely thing whats going to happen?
Of course, no one can guess what the court might do, but based on your post, I would GUESS you will get a fine (no idea how much) and probably probation.

JETX

EnglishJackass said:
alright thats coool, I just don't want this **** to be on my record for life, can it?
As a juvenile.... your record won't follow you to your being an adult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">