• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quitting Job without notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pharmacist

I am a pharmacy manager in Nebraska. I wish to open my own pharmacy. I currently have no written contract with my current employer. Is it legal for me to quit my current job on the same day that I wish to open my new pharmacy?

Thanks for your help!

JETX

pharmacist said:
I am a pharmacy manager in Nebraska. I wish to open my own pharmacy. I currently have no written contract with my current employer. Is it legal for me to quit my current job on the same day that I wish to open my new pharmacy?
Unless you have some contract or agreement to the contrary, there is no statutory restrictions to your changing jobs.... or starting your own business.
Good luck in your venture.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

pharmacist said:

Thanks for your help!

My response:

It's only illegal if this is 1856, you're Black, live in a shack on a Georgia Plantation, have a steel collar around your neck, have a chain on that collar, you habitually say things like, "Yessa Massa", and sing early "Gospel tunes" while picking cotton in the hot sun.

Other than that, there's no laws keeping you from doing, or working, whatever and wherever you like.

Hey, there's nothing like "burning bridges" though!

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nothing in the law requires you to give notice. You can quit at any time and for any reason you like.

Although, as IAAL points out, if you ever need a reference from these people, they are free to inform whoever is asking that you left them in the lurch with no notice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">