• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hired under false pretenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aatannous

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?California
I was hired about 5 months ago as VP at a small company. During the interview, my (future) boss indicated that I would manage a couple of employees - this never happened. The state of the business was substantially misrepresented. Finally, 4 months after being on the job, my comp plan was revised to be significantly lower than agreed in my offer letter. I protested the above, I was then terminated. Of course I have lost significant income and now I have to look for a job.

What is my recourse here? Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Based on what is in your post, your recourse is to file for unemployment. Nothing in your post gives clear evidence of any illegal activity on the part of the employer.

If you have additional facts that you believe would change the answer above, feel free to post them.

aatannous

more information

Thanks for the quick turnaround. The problem is that I declined other employment opportunities in favor of my last employer based on their representation of the seniority of the position, the sales pipeline and my earnings potential - All of which were grossly misrepresented. I would have never accepted that position if the actual position/earnings potential were accurately stated. I can document all of those misrepresentations.

As a result of the above, I am now unemployed and have to look for a job and have lost significant income.

Beth3

Whether you have a cause of action depends upon whether the employer knowingly and purposefully misrepresented the situation during the recruiting phase in order to induce you to accept the job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">