• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawyer/ex fraudulently charging me with fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lillytoo

What is the name of your state? CA

I posted this on anothr forum, but would like to know if what he (my x lawyr fianc) is doing is illegal/criminal and if it would violate ethics with the Bar associations he belongs to (both in D.C. and in MO, he currently lives in Indiana and may be applying to practice there also)

What is the name of your state? IN (where it occured...I now live in CA)

I am not sure even where to post this...hope this is the right place or someone will tell me where I should post.

Last summer my fiancee paid for a small monthly recurring charge I had for web services (~$20/mo.). We have since parted, but now he is claiming I stole his credit card and fraudulently used it to pay for the account (we were living together at the time).

So far, I only know he is claiming this with my service company (they called me), but he may actually claim this with his credit card company (AmEx). This is not about the money as he is fairly wealthy, it is about retribution. I'm shocked he would go this far as he himself is an attorney. Isn't this completely illegal and what should I do to protect myself at this point? I'm contemplating calling AmEx and reporting it - good idea or should I hire an attorny, wait, or?

S

seniorjudge

Your statement of facts is not really clear.

Are you saying that the credit card was used to pay your bills?

To whom is the ex complaining?

Has his complaining cost you any money?

Did you use this card to pay your bills?

lillytoo

Are you saying that the credit card was used to pay your bills?
Yes, we were engaged and living together.

To whom is the ex complaining?
So far, an internet provider that hosts my website

Has his complaining cost you any money?
Not yet...it will if he asks Amex to remove charges going back to last June (he is just now charging that I used his card fraudulently)

Did you use this card to pay your bills?
I'm not sure if he paid this bill over the internet, if I did, or if we were both standing there together. He knew about the charge and agreed before anything was done.

S

seniorjudge

If you are telling us that he allowed you to use his credit card (I am assuming you did not steal it) and now he wants his money back from AmEx, then good luck to him! If he gets it back because he is complaining about fraud, AmEx will likely tell him to be more careful about who he gives his credit card to.

lillytoo

Yes, that is what I am saying exactly. I guess it just freaked me out for anyone to claim this about me. So, probably Amex either would not believe him or they would ask for more proof. I'm not as worried about the money as I am about some claim I have been fraudulent and about this guys continuing behavior and threats.

Thanks for your advice

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">