• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who Has Authority

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RickyT

MISSISSIPPI: I have an ongoing conflict with my mother-in-law. My wife and I have 3 kids, one being my step-daughter. Well, my mother-in-law seems to believe that she can take the child from me or have full authority over her when my wife is not around. She says she is blood kin and I am nothing. She has even tried to jerk the child away from my wife and she seems to believe that she has some rights to do so. I thought that even though the child is my step daughter that when she is with me I have full authority because she was left with me by her mother. I also consider anyone trying to pull child away from my arms is a threat of bodily harm. Am I correct in both of these instances??????

Shay-Pari'e

Please tell your wife to have a "POW WOW" with her mother, and explain to her she has no rights to her child. You don't either, but when Grandma and you are yanking this kid around, you both need to understand the law.

Your wife needs to tell her mother to pound sand. Grandma has no legal rights under the law, and MOM needs to step up and lay some ground rules for this.

RickyT

I guess you misunderstood. My wife was at work. I was at home with kids. Nana shows up telling step daughter to come with her. I call wife and wife tells Nana to leave. But what if I could not reach wife on phone and had to call Sherrif. Would they make Nana leave and leave child with me? Someone has rights because Sherrif would have to make a decision.
By the way, Nana jerked child from my wife. That would never get too far with me!!

Shay-Pari'e

I understood, so your wife and Nana are jerking the poor thing around. I am left to wonder how you could not understand my response.

Nana has no legal rights. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

LdiJ

RickyT said:
I guess you misunderstood. My wife was at work. I was at home with kids. Nana shows up telling step daughter to come with her. I call wife and wife tells Nana to leave. But what if I could not reach wife on phone and had to call Sherrif. Would they make Nana leave and leave child with me? Someone has rights because Sherrif would have to make a decision.
By the way, Nana jerked child from my wife. That would never get too far with me!!
Nana has no rights at all. However, just to make things extra safe have your wife give you a power of attorney to care for and make decisions for the child whenever she is absent.

overbearing grandma

tell grandma next time she comes over and starts a conflict,youll have a restraining order against her.your stepdaughter doesnt need to see this conflict between her mom stepdad and grandma.she has absolutley no rights to your stepdaughter.next time she tells you you are nothing,tell her shes an overbearing b**** who needs to mind her own business.

nextwife

The child was left in YOUR care. That makes you responsible to make certain NOBODY, including Grandma removes the child from you without written permission (OK, so I'm stretching it) from the mom.

cmorris

Why don't you just lock the door for the time being?

Have your wife explain to Nana that when she begins to behave, she can visit. Otherwise, she will not get to see the granddaughter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">