• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lung cancer and abestos

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gailyr

[FONT=Impact]undefined[/FONT]What is the name of your state? New York.

My husband was diagnosed with lung cancer 2 yrs ago he passed away on May 14th of this yr. He was a heavy equipment mechanic for a county job he did alot of brake jobs on highway vehicles and garbage trucks for at least 33 yrs and he did smoke. I was wondering if this contributed to his lung cancer and if i have a case I remember taking to his medical insurance company and she had mentioned abestos and lung cancer. He wirked for a big county job in nassau county. He worked for the Town of Oyster Bay. I am just curious if I can do anything about it.

rmet4nzkx

I'm sorry for your loss.
I suggest you search under the search terms "Mesothelioma Asbestos lung cancer" You will come up with many resources both informational and attorneys specializing on this issue who you may communicate with and have your case evaluated.

Gailyr said:
[FONT=Impact]undefined[/FONT]What is the name of your state? New York.

My husband was diagnosed with lung cancer 2 yrs ago he passed away on May 14th of this yr. He was a heavy equipment mechanic for a county job he did alot of brake jobs on highway vehicles and garbage trucks for at least 33 yrs and he did smoke. I was wondering if this contributed to his lung cancer and if i have a case I remember taking to his medical insurance company and she had mentioned abestos and lung cancer. He wirked for a big county job in nassau county. He worked for the Town of Oyster Bay. I am just curious if I can do anything about it.
I hate to give you this advice as I for a time worked on asbestos defense and think many of the claims are bogus or are caused by smoking. However, you need to see an attorney who specializes in filing asbestos claims.

We in asbestos defense (Actually I no longer work in the area) are are all the time faced with Plaintiffs (often represented by their estates) who have had a lengthy history of smoking. (Smoking and exposure to asbestos appears to have some type of multiplier effect that incredibly increases the likelihood of health problems.) Doesn't stop them from pursuing claims based on asbestos exposure. Basically what happens is the Plaintiff's attorney will sue numerous defendants and they will pay their way out of litigation. You would think the smoking would be an impediment to their claim, but while it might hurt the claim in front of a jury, most of these are settled before they go to trial.

The work environment you described is a very, very common way people were exposed to asbestos dust. Working on brake and clutch jobs often resulted in the mechanic breathing asbestos dust from the brakes and clutch mechanisms. Assuming there is no problem with statute of limitations or the statute of repose, that probably will be enough to get your claim into court and to a jury if necessary. You might well get a nice settlement.

Personally I think people who smoke for years shouldn't be able to turn around and sue someone else for "causing" their lung cancer. But they can. That's why I, reluctantly, tell you to contact an attorney who specializes in the area. You may well get a ride on the abstestos litigation gravy train.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">