• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-compete aggreement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jchint

What is the name of your state? South Dakota

The company I work for has a strong-armed me and my fellow employees into signing a non-compete. Since that time, I have discovered what a major mistake i've made going to work for them. I've worked in the corporate world for over 20 years and this has to be the worst management i've ever seen. I want to go to work for a competitor where several people I know have worked for years. The aggreement I signed is for 3 years, but i've never heard of any company that actually inforced them. Is it more of a scare tactic or do I need to get a lawyer before moving on this. Any help anyone can give me would be welcomed. Thank you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no possible way anyone here can comment on the enforceability of an agreement they have not read. You are going to have to show it to a local attorney.

In most states of which I have knowledge, 3 years would not be enforceable in most instances, but the EXACT wording matters greatly and I have no experience whatsoever with South Dakota's position on the matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">