• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Full Gaurdian Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djhope

What is the name of your state?Arkansas
My husband and I have full gaurdianship of two of our grandchildren,ages 10 and 12.They have lived with us three years now.When we got them they had already been taken away from their mother by her parents.They also have a sister who lives with the maternal grandmother and is a special needs child.When we got them,we filed for legal gaurdianship,so they would not be shoved back and forth.The day they decided to give them to us,because they could not care for all of them,we got them with the clothes on their back and nothing else.Their parents have been in and out of jail and correctional facilities and prison on and off for three years now.There are no stipulations of visitation on our gaurdianship,it is at our discrimination.
Now the other grandparents are trying to tell me to give them permanent steady visitation and I will not.I have always allowed the children to go to their other grandparents when their schedule permits it.The children are very active in school and have a normal home life and I will not have this changed.The other grandparents have not helped us at all financially with these children.The day we took them we gave up the the title of grandparents in speaking and had to become the parents and do what parents do,raise their children.The kids are very stable and happy,they love their other grandparents,but they do not want to be made to go when they don't want to.
Their mother was raised by her mother and her grandparents and shoved back and forth all her life,and there was jealousy invovled between them in this .I will not have the two I have shoved back and forth and do think I am in the right .They kids have been living a normal life all this time,now they want to try to mess it up.I feel I am in the right,I do not want to hurt any one,just raise the children the way they should be raised.I do not want to keep them away from there other grandparents,but I do not think they have the right to tell me what to do,If the children were living a normal life with their real parents,the situation would be the same,they would visit their grandparents like normal kids do.I have othetr grandchildren and I do not demand my children to bring them to visit me at a set time.

I feel I have been fair in all this.Am I right?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It really all depends on what the court order giving you guardianship states. They may be able to file for visitation, considering the circumstances. If they do so, I would urge you to be very cautious in how you address their parenting abilities. After all, you raised the other half of the parental equation, who is apparently no better than theirs.

Last edited:

dixygrl04

I am from tn. The main thing I would like to ask, is, why do you think the other g'parents owe you anything financially? I am sure if you are able too, you can sign up for state assistance, especially since you have guardianship and not legally adopted. When you took on the guardianship, I surely hope you made sure you could provide financially, as well as the judge probly took this into consider.

LdiJ

dixygrl04 said:
I am from tn. The main thing I would like to ask, is, why do you think the other g'parents owe you anything financially? I am sure if you are able too, you can sign up for state assistance, especially since you have guardianship and not legally adopted. When you took on the guardianship, I surely hope you made sure you could provide financially, as well as the judge probly took this into consider.
Its not exactly wrong for them to feel that if the other grandparents want equal rights that they should also have equal responsibilities. It may not be the way it works under the law...but its not unrealistic/unfair logic. In fact, there are a few states that now have laws on the books making grandparents of minor children responsible for child support if their own son/daughter is a parent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">