• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auction rip-off??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

audraman

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan
A well-established and reputable auction house in Cincinatti, OH held an auction of historical artifacts on 12/2 and 12/3/04. On 12/1, I placed an absentee bid of $1400 on an engraved powder horn. On Wed 12/8, I was called and informed that I had won the auction, and I provided them with my credit card number for payment. Several days later I received an invoice for the item, as well as my credit card statement that showed the charge. Then, on Monday 12/13 (5 days after my credit card was charged), the auction house called me again, and told me that they discovered another absentee bid for $4200, and said that they would not be sending me the horn, but would re-credit my charge card for the amount. Needless to say, I was very disappointed, but was willing to accept the mistake. However, I was talking to some people this weekend about the matter, and they said the auction house "broke the law", since as soon as they charged me for the horn on 12/8, the horn became MY property, and "in effect" they re-sold MY horn. Is this true? Any advice would be appreciated. I thought I would get a few more opinions on this forum, before contacting a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">