• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Imigration Board? Want to take my son out of the country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

x0il_lamp

What is the name of your state? TX (NY Papers)

My mother, who lives in a different country (europe) is very sick and I would like to take my 12 year old son with me to visit.
I have asked my ex if I could take my son (we have joint custody) and he said it was ok(supprisingly). I asked if he had valid passort he said he didn't know.
Knowing my ex he will do anything possible to stonewall me about that passport to make things difficult and to possibly delay or prevent me from taking my son with me.

He has taken our son serveral times out of the country without informing me (we are suppose to discuss..per decree) I would like to go by it the right way. I am not yet a citicen (I am a permanent resident) of this country.

So here are my questions:

Can I legally obtain a passport for my son?

Must I be aware of anything that would allow my ex to try "getting" me for child obduction or taking him illegally out of the country since we only have a verbal agreement.

How would I go by legally securing myself

Would I need to have my ex sign some release form and if so, how can I get his signature in an acceptable time fame.

Thank you much for any tips

x0il_lamp

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">