• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal for 7 yrs.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I am living in this country illegally but might become legal soon. I am 15 right now and will be turning 16. I have a lot of problems with my parents and want to know what kind of rights I have when I turn 18? I want to move out and do other things but I am not sure yet. I live in Texas and want advice from anyone! Please e-mail me at [email protected] if you have any advice or know any web sites that can help me.

S

SJLin

If you are not lawfully present in the U.S., you risk being deported. The fact that you stayed in the here illegally for several years while a minor will not automatically make you a legal alien when you turn 18. Unless you can obtain some form of waiver, if you remain here unlawfully after you turn 18 and are deported afterwards, you may have to wait some years before you can apply for re-entry to the U.S.

Are your parents citizens or legal residents? If so, you may be able to have them file a petition on your behalf for legal residency here. In any event, you need to consult an immigration lawyer in Texas to see what your options are. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">