• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

consequence of a lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cculon

What is the name of your state? CA

I would like to know that if one sues a company or asks EEOC to help to investigate a case in which the employer is accused for wrongfull termination or discriminate, isn't that person will be very difficult to get a job from the prospective employer? The reason is because hiring such person might has a bad effect to the propective company?

Thank you,
Curie

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It would be a violation of public policy to refuse to hire someone because they had exercised their right under the law to report illegal behavior to the appropriate regulatory agency.

Besides, how is the prospective employer going to know unless you tell them?

Beth3

Curie, that is a really difficult question to answer. In theory, such complaints/suits should be invisible as it relates to an employee's job prospects. In actuality, there are so many frivilous and meritless complaints made by disgruntled employees to the EEOC or their State's equal rights division, that an employer might well be gun-shy of hiring someone who's pursued a complaint or suit, should they happen to know about it.

I would have no problem whatsoever hiring someone who truly had been unlawfully discriminated against by a prior employer and who pursued their lawful rights. I'd have a big problem hiring someone who accused a former employer of violations of the law, whether because they siimply imagined it or because they were just pissed-off about something. I've had my fair share of employees engaging in the latter and I have no desire to invite trouble into the organization.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">