• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Immigration consequencs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MARK

I was charged / arrested for Misdemanor, the charge was reduced to Violation & i was given 1 year conditional discharge with $ 200 fine.
The case is sealed off persuent to section 160.55 (termination of criminal proceding againsts person due to conviction for noncriminal offence) NY state.

Do I have criminal record ?
Will I have arrest/ police record ?
Will I have FBI record ?

Will I have problem getting greencard or H1B becasue of this issue.

Please help me get specific answers to these questions.

Thankyou very much in advance for your kind help.

S

SJLin

Whether a conviction can affect the eligibility for visas or admission is not clear cut and will depend on the actual conviction. For example, most drug offenses (even minor ones) will have serious implications on one's eligiblity. Similarly, a crime of moral turpitude where the term of imprisonment is over 6 months is going to detrimentally affect one's immigration status.

An immigration lawyer will help you determine whether your violation is going to have serious implications on your eligibility for visas or admission.

[This message has been edited by SJLin (edited November 26, 1999).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">