• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CITIZENSHIP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MDD

My wife was born in Canada and lived there for only a few months. Her mother is a U.S. citizen and, shortly after my wife's birth, moved her to the U.S. Sometime afterwards, her mother started citizenship process and received a S.S. card and was admitted into public schools. When we were married, her mother was STILL trying to complete the citizenship process. After they had both become frustrated with the ridiculous redtape, they both gave up. What is the easiest, fastest way to complete the process now. Is she at risk of being deported or any other negative repricussions?

S

SJLin

If your wife's mother is a U.S. citizen at the time of your wife's birth, it is possible that she may already be a U.S. citizen even though she was born in Canada. Nevertheless, even if your wife is currently a permanent resident and not a U.S. citizen, she may petition for citizenship if she has fullfilled the requirements(5 years continuous presence, etc.)for naturalization.
If your wife is in the U.S. legally and has not done anything to make her deportable, I don't see why your wife can be deported just for not completing the citizenship process.

An immigration attorney can assist your wife with a stragegy that best suits her in the process of obtaining her citizenship along with addressing any of her concerns. You can find a local immigration attorney at https://attorneypages.com Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">