• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce during the conditional perm. residence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Stella

Help me pleas
I came to US as a J-1 student. I met a guy (US Citizen) and we fell in love. We got married after 5 months of dating. Of course, we sent all the papers to INS office and in July 99 we had an interview. I was approved a conditional Permanent Residence. But our relationship changed a lot. He behaves like he is a "Big Boss" - everything is on his name, I have no right to have my own money, I just have to work- and all my paychecks I give to him, he behaves very angry and mean to me, and all the time he says that "if you do not like it - I will call the INS and you will f... go back to your country". He has no friends, his mood changes suspiciosly often and I try to please him all the time and I am doing whatever he says... I do not know what to do - if I pleed for divorce will I loose my permanent recidency or there is a chance that I can stay in US and get an unconditional permanent residence?

W

Wilson

It all depends on the reason for the braek-up. This should be documented for you by an immigration attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">