• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal questions at interview?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blendedfamily

What is the name of your state?Oklahoma

Can a interviewer ask about your personal life during interview??

children, how many, if I have day care, what I'll do if they get sick?
I used to do hiring for a company and this was a NO NO was this their policy or is it law???

Beth3

Can a interviewer ask about your personal life during interview?? Yes.

children, how many, if I have day care, what I'll do if they get sick? Yes.

I used to do hiring for a company and this was a NO NO was this their policy or is it law??? Policy. The only questions an employer is prohibited by law from asking during an interview is whether the candidate has a disability however even then, if the candidate brings it up the employer may ask follow-up questions to ascertain whether the individual can perform the job.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Marital status is not protected in Oklahoma, and parental status is only protected in Alaska and the District of Columbia, nowhere else.

However, contrary to popular belief, the law does not prohibit an employer from asking questions about even protected groups, other than as Beth has already indicated. The law only says that an employer cannot use any information they may have about membership in protected groups, in making employment decisions. So even in AK and DC, you can ask questions about children; you just can't (in AK and DC ONLY) use that information in deciding who to hire. In all other states, including OK, it's fair game.

Many companies will not ask the questions about protected groups at all, wisely deciding that if they don't ask the questions, they can't be accused of using the information in making the decisions. However, other companies have taken that position to extremes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">