• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

soon to be married to a ssgt in the AF

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amj4eva

What is the name of your state? NJ

The reason I am on this site is because I have questions. My fiancee is going through a divorce. He has been seperated from her for 7 yrs now. They have a court date in January. If his divorce is granted, How long does he have to wait to marry me? He is also stationed at Yokota AFB. Once we are married, will they move me and my son there? and the last question, Since he had a child with me and was still legally married to her, is that child reconized by the Airforce? :)

rmet4nzkx

How old is your child, has paternity been established, custody orders, child support orders, visitation orders?
What is his state of residency?
What state has jurisdiction for the divorce?
How long has he been in the USAF?
When did he go overseas?
How long have you been involved with him?
Has he envoked the SSCRA to delay his divorce?
Does his wife know about you and the child? Does he have children by that marriage?
Has he actually promised to marry you?
He should be able to tell you how he intends to move you there.

amj4eva

My child is one. Paternity has been established. He isnt on child support cause we are supposed to be getting married in January 2005.
His state of residency is Yokota Japan now, But it was Burlington NJ.
The state that has jurisdiction for the divorce is NJ.
He has been in the Air force for 15 yrs.
He went overseas in June 2004.
I have been involved with him for 5 yrs now.
I dont know if he has envoked the SSCRA to delay his divorce.
Yes, his wife knows about us, I used to live with him on base at Mcguire AFB. She came to visit us. They have 2 kids in that marriage. One that is biologically his and one that is not. She cheated when they first got married with an airman.
Yes, He has promised to marry me. He gave me a 2000.00 ring.
He doesnt know if the AF will pay for me to go to Japan after we are married, since he has already reported to japan.

rmet4nzkx

If you are getting married in a few weeks do you actually have wedding plans, invitaitons etc?
His promise may be something to get out of child support.
His wife's adultery isn't a problem except for the Airman with whom she had the child, however Adultery is an offense of UCMJ and could be a problem if his wife objects.
Are you sure the divorce will be final?
I believe that once he is overseas, they will not pay to move move you there unless he has made some sort of plans to move your/his stuff later, in other words if he went with his duffel bag etc they may move his belongs at a later date, you would still have to pay your way over unless you are married and take a military flight.
I should think if it is December and this is supposed to happen in January 2005 you should have firm plans by now. Do you and your child have passports yet?

amj4eva

Yes, my child and I both have passports. We have already sent out invites to the wedding. The divorce is going to happen. I am sure of that. Who do you think is paying for the lawyer and I have power of attorney while he is out of the states. I dont think that Child support is even a issuse. That ia a bummer that they wont move me once we are married. I only have our childs things. But i guess we will work it out. :)

rmet4nzkx

Well, if he planned things right he would have moved most of your things when he moved there leaving you only what you needed in the mean time, also with such a long separation and living together why did he wait no long to get a divorce? Children grow quickly, so you may only want to bring with you what you need and get new there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">