• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

L1A authorization/adjustment status

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Keith

In February '95 a 1-129 petition for a Non immigrant Visa (Classification L-1A) was filed on my behalf by my Canadian Employer and approved by INS.

In February '96 another petition (I-140) was filed on my behalf and approved by INS. It was also stated by INS that I file a I-485(Application for Permanent Resident).

In March of '96 a I-485(Application for Permanent Resident) was filed and sent to INS for approval. Five months later in August '96 I received a letter from INS that an appointmment was scheduled on 8/28/98 to file a I-765 and obtain my work authorization card. The same letter indicated that I would be notified no later than 12 months for an "Adjustment of Status Review" regarding my I-485 petition.

Eleven months later I was worried I had not heard from INS and I inquired about my "Adjustment of Status Review" . I was told that there was such a backlog of cases that I should wait another 3-6 months to hear from them. Finally in September of 1997 i still had not heard from INS i visted their LA offices because my work authorization card was ready to expire and under the present rules I was not aloud to leave the country during the pending of my "Adjustment of Status" review unless a I-131 was filed (Advanced Parole) to leave the country. I petitioned for both the renewal of my work authorization card and the advanced parole and was approved by INS.

During that time i must have bothered the INS a few more times regarding my I-485 petition and was told that my file had been misplaced due to the relocation of the files in a different area of the building. Due to unforseen and unfortunate circumstances I left my employer who had initially sponsored me to work in the U.S.A. due to a terrible working environment and employee/employer relations. I was also subjected to many forms and discrimination by a few senior managers.

In April 1998 I filled out a form and spoke with the "Examinations Branch-Adjustment Unit" .At that time they produced a few letters sent to my previous address for an interview for my "Adjustment of Status" and also was told that the file was sent to the Deportation Unit because they I had failed to show up to the interview. I provided proof to the INS that I had sent a registered letter of my address change. INS never updated the file with the new address because the file had gone missing for almost a year. I was then told that within 60 days I would receive a reponse from INS and a new interview would be scheduled for my I-485 petition because of the proof I was able to show them. The 60 days passed and heard nothing from them.

As of 12/07/99 I am still awaiting the approval of my I-485.

My question is..I am no longer sponsored by the employer who petitioned me to work in the USA in 1995. I do have another job as a Flight Attendant for a major US Carrier. What options does the INS have regarding my Residency in the USA and my employment situation, if I am no longer being sponsored and working for another company?

What can they do to me? and what recourse can I take due to the obvious inefficiency of the INS department and the time frame to resolve my "Adjustment of Status" petition. The petition should of been approved long before i left my employer due to the unfortunate situations and circumstances that arose.

I have made a life for myself here and I am not sure what will happen and what I can do to ensure that I remain here in the USA.

Yours respectfully.,

------------------

S

Simon

This is a very complex issue. I think you best bet is to contact an immigration attorney for advice and support. I wish you luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">