• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

broken hearted grandmother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maryann12

i live in Florida. i have a lot of ????????? .
not all have to do with grandparents rights but do have to do with my grandchildren. Frist my son just pastesd away in nov.
1. do i as a grandmother have any rights since my son in dead?
2. sence my son had been married 2 times and both had one child is there anything that can be done to keep them involved with each other. do they have any kind of visatation rights..
3.and if the children are getting social sercurty will that stop if they remarry
and is there any way we can keep them from being adopted by the new step-father.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Since your son has passed away (my condolences on your loss), you could file for visitation rights on that basis. The children do not actually have the right to visitation with one another, but you could try to work it out so that you have them both at the same time. Will the mothers work with you on seeing the children? As for the stepfather adopting, there is nothing that you could do should the mother and the stepfather decide to go that route.

maryann12

brokenhearted grandmother

fl.
my son's widdow lets me see her son and is trying to help me to see the other grandson. the ex-wife want even talk to me or any of us.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Then you could file for visitation rights for the child he had with his ex-wife.

I have a dear friend who has been in your position for about two years now. Her son's little girl was two when he died very unexpectedly. Her DIL has remarried, and apparently the stepdad is very good with the little one. She does get to see her regularly, although it's very difficult for her, and her DIL does invite her to family events such as the little's bday parties. Foster that relationship as best you can. Even if/when she remarries, part of your son will live on and hopefully she will recognize the importance of your relationship with him. But do understand that she will have to move on with her own life.

may he rest in peace

im so sorry about your son passing away.perhaps even if the stepfather does adopt the child,you,and they can arrange it so you casn still have visitation.are you and the mother on good terms,? talk to her,and see what she says,i cant imagine that she would say no,i dont know what your relationship is with her. big hug for you,kelly

LdiJ

maryann12 said:
i live in Florida. i have a lot of ????????? .
not all have to do with grandparents rights but do have to do with my grandchildren. Frist my son just pastesd away in nov.
1. do i as a grandmother have any rights since my son in dead?
2. sence my son had been married 2 times and both had one child is there anything that can be done to keep them involved with each other. do they have any kind of visatation rights..
3.and if the children are getting social sercurty will that stop if they remarry
and is there any way we can keep them from being adopted by the new step-father.
First, my condolences for your loss. I know it must be very hard for you.

I am very sorry to tell you that the others are incorrect. In Florida you have no right to sue for visitation of your grandchildren. The Florida Supreme Court has struck down all grandparent visitation laws in FL as unconstitutional under the Florida Constitution. There is also no provision under Florida law for sibling visitation.

All you can do is try as hard as possible to forge a relationship with the mothers of your grandchildren so that they will allow you to remain part of the children's lives. I am sorry.

Neither a remarriage nor a stepparent adoption would stop the children's social security. No, you cannot stop a stepparent adoption. In fact, you wouldn't even be notified by the court regarding a stepparent adoption.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">