• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parking ticket issued for a car I no longer owned

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

devadrian

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I turned in my leased Honda vehicle back in March 04. A parking ticket was issued in Detroit, MI in July 04. I did not have the vehicle nor have I ever been to Michigan. Somehow the vehicle was not switched out of my name. I sent proof from my MN DMV that the vehicle was not in my possession when the ticket was issued. The Detroit DMV said they will not dismiss this ticket. I am refusing to pay the $70 ticket for a car I didn't even own. No one seems to want to take responsibility or get this taken care of. What can I do? Any advice would be greaty appreciated, I'm at my wits end and am tired of getting the run around and want this resolved...HELP

S

seniorjudge

This happened to me once and it is exceptionally irritating.

First, find out who the prosecutor is on the case.

Since you have documented proof that you got rid of this vehicle, send certified copies of it (i.e., certified copies from MN DMV) by certified mail, return receipt requested to the prosecutor and the court.

Then, stay out of Michigan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">