• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emailed Car Quotes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BatteryLow

California.
Car dealerships have been emailing me quotes on a particular vehicle this week and I wanted to know how 'set-in-stone' this quote is? If I take a printout of the quote to them to buy a car, do they have to honor it? Could it be false advertising if they don't?

Or is this quote just a sneaky way of getting me down there, and they'll hike up the price saying that their 'desk' wont approve it?

If they do that, is it legal?

Thanks for your help!

racer72

Till you attempt to make a deal with one of these offers, you don't have a legal question. Some courts will accept emails as evidence, some don't.

BatteryLow

Isn't the 'deal' already attempted when I agreed to the quote?
And I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by 'legal question'?

I guess what I'm trying to find out is, if they give me a quote through email that I agree with, can they change their minds and the quote price when I get to the dealership eventhough I have printed proof of the original quote?

Thanks!

You Are Guilty

BatteryLow said:
Isn't the 'deal' already attempted when I agreed to the quote?
And I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by 'legal question'?

I guess what I'm trying to find out is, if they give me a quote through email that I agree with, can they change their minds and the quote price when I get to the dealership eventhough I have printed proof of the original quote?

Thanks!

Probably yes. There are a number of contract law issues here, plus the fact that courts are rather iffy on accepting emails (i.e. your only "proof") as competant evidence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">