• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unsafe speed in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Toxicoffenda

What is the name of your state? NY

Hi, I was exiting a particularly nasty off ramp from the Taconic state parkway the other day. This off ramp is a 2 lane ramp and I needed to make a left. Unfortunately, there was a jeep waiting to make a right off of the same ramp. The jeep had pulled up so far, that I couldn't see traffic from my right. When I finally saw an opening I pulled out quickly. The resulting launch spun my rear tires. As I drove away, I see lights coming from over the hill. It's a sheriff, bummer. He pulls me over and asks why I spun my tires, I explained the cause and he asked why I sped away after the spinning. He said I must've been doing 50 (this is a 30 mph zone). He subsequently wrote me a ticket for Unsafe Speed. He noted no speed on the ticket which I imagine is because he had no way of seeing me speed or clocking me. In addition, I was only 25 feet off the ramp when I saw his lights. I don't drive a ferrari. He came for me because he heard my tires, not because he saw my speed. What do you guys think?

S

seniorjudge

Can you post the exact wording of the law under which you were given this ticket?

Toxicoffenda

nys v7t law 1180(a)

"No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed that is greater than reaonable or prudent and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property.

S

seniorjudge

The government will win its case if it can prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.

If not, then you will win.

I don't know what the facts will be once you get to court so I can't tell you how it will turn out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">