• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hode1

I have a Colorado driver's license but my car is registered in Pennsylvania. I was pulled over for not having inspection stickers. At the time, the car was registered and titled in my name in PA and was beyond the grace period for not having stickers. I have since given the car to my girlfriend and titled and registered the car in her name in PA and put on inspection stickers. The reason for all this change is I don't plan on staying in PA and don't want to have to get a PA driver's license, however, the car must be titled in PA to get a valid parking permit.

The messy part is, when I was pulled over, I was informed that my license had been suspended. I called the Colorado DMV and learned that it was from a ticket I didn't pay in Kansas. I have since paid the ticket and restored my license.

However, I was issued a citation for driving with a suspended license in PA. What should I expect in the PA court? What is my best defense to avoid fines?

Last edited:

Bravo8

Well, you really don't have a defense. You could plead ignorance of the suspension, being that you were licensed in Colorado but living in PA. However, it's unlawful for you to live here and not be licensed here. You can't move to PA and decide you'll just keep your previous DL.

In essence, you would be admitting guilt to one offense by using this to defend the other charge.

The max fine is $200 plus costs for a 1st offense. And your PA DL will be suspended, so Colorado will suspend your DL again.

hode1

Thanks for the reply. When you say PA will suspend my license, does that happen automatically even before I've had my day in court?

Bravo8

No, PA will issue you a driver's license number and subsequently suspend it upon a plea of guilty or a conviction. If you plead not guilty, it won't occur until after the court action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">