• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financially responsible

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jenna

I married a foreigner 4 1/2 years ago. In order for him to enter the US, I had to sign papers to prove that I would be financially responsible for him. Since then he has acquired a green card with permanent legal residence status.We are now separated and in the middle of a divorce. I know that he does not speak English very well and it is difficult for him to make a living with his current level of education and English. Am I still legally responsible for supporting him financially since I signed those papers 4 1/2 years ago for the INS?

V

valG

I do not know i,mmigration law., but as far as divorce yes.I do.Until you are legally divorced.I mean that you have the final papers, which is usually in 8 months after you first file,You are legally responsible
for Him unless the divorce papers say that you are not.I am not a lawyer , but from experience I know this to be true.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">