• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deep Surprise from NYC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

booda192

What is the name of your state?This is a question(s) about NYC Parking Tickets.

I used to live in NYC. I moved out of state (CO) in 2002.

I just received a letter from the NYC Dept of Finance telling me that I had multiple parking tickets from within a 16 day period in June of 99.

Color me suprised. Very. This is the first I've heard.

I had a car in NYC. I sold a car in NYC. I turned in the plates to NYC. But . . . that was nearly five and half years ago. I never received any notification of this when I was in NYC (through 2002) and this letter from the Dept of Finance is dated 8/25/04 and it recently found me 12/15/04.

This is insane. I have no idea about these tickets. It seems as if judgements against me have already passed and I'm on the hook for over $1,400.00 dollars.

Please advise on possible options, both moral and legal.

Thanks from the booda. :eek:

S

seniorjudge

Do the tag numbers on the tickets match the tag numbers of the car you had?

Did you own and drive a car in NYC during the time period alleged by NYC?

Don't go to New York any time soon.

booda192

Response to Senior Judge

Do the tag numbers on the tickets match the tag numbers of the car you had?

I don't know. I've never seen any of these tickets. Never had any previous notification of this until this letter found me. Sincerely, this is a complete suprise.

Did you own and drive a car in NYC during the time period alleged by NYC?

I did own a car in NYC, however, I sold the vehicle within six months of purchase and since it was 5 & 1/2 years ago . . . I have no idea of the exact dates and my records don't go back more than three years.

Don't go to New York any time soon.

Why not?! As far as I know they can't put you in jail for a few parking tkts?

Truely, the advice I'm looking for is options. Contact them and start figuring out this dilema and open myself up to a world of hurt, or let it go, or . . .?

I'm just not sure. My first instinct was to call someone up and start yelling at them, but that obviously is stupid, and my second thought was to contact a lawyer (but I thought he/she would tell me to leave it be since it's taken them 5 + years to even get a letter to me), or ....

again, I'm just confused on this issue.

But, I have no plans to return to NYC at this time if ever again.

help, please.

S

seniorjudge

Here's what I did when I was faced with a similar situation: I sent the licensing authority of the state proof (not my word but documented proof) that I had given the car to a charity (which I will never do again) and that I did not own it when the tickets were issued. That solved that.

I know the government is slow, but waiting five years to send notice of traffic tickets seems ridiculous.

What you should be very concerned with is whether this will show up as "judgments" on your record. That could get your OPL jerked.

Bottom line: Get an NYC attorney (if that is even possible these days) to check this out for you. Or you could call the folks who sent you this info and very nicely ask them some questions.

Shouting at bureaucrats closes their ears.

You Are Guilty

Look up the info on their web site:
NYC Parking and see what it says before worrying about the next step. Pay particularly close attention to see if the tickets were, in fact, for your car.

(If they were, you're not going to like the next step).

booda192

More information from the booda

OK, "senior judge" and "you are guilty" (not very comforting avatars):

However, I have more information & a question.

Question to "senior judge" - what is OPL?

More information thanks to "you are guilty" (sincerely, thank you):

So . . . I looked up every ticket and the information was as follows:

Ticket is in judgment.
Ticket was issued to a vehicle that you had rented or leased at the time.

Now, every ticket was issued during a 15 day period, and even though I did rent cars in NYC, I never rented one for more than two days (weekend trips), so I'm sure this is wrong. I wonder if it was fraud from a stolen credit card or what? I'm not sure, but I'm even now more sure that there is something amiss here.

Further suggestions since this definetely wasn't my car!

Really am thankful for your responses.

S

seniorjudge

Sorry...some of get carried away and start using acronyms.

OPL = operator's license

nusias9

I have some advice which may not be helpful, but I hope it is.

Anyway, I would think long and hard about the companies you rented from. Give them a call and ask for copies of the dates you rented cars.
You should be able to obtain rental car information from the ticket, I think. All rental companies have records and I believe they have to keep them for a period of time. Compare the rental car information to the ticket. If the company does not have you listed as renting a car during that period then provide the written information to the rat bassss@@*$% at the NYC parking authority, whom I hate and cannot stand. Just a last minute thought!

Make sure they fax you something indicating you did not rent a car during that time frame!!!

Blame Bloomberg!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">