• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Careless Driving" ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Macaroni110

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Oregon

I was driving late at night in fresh rain (the road was very slippery), and I went around a corner too fast through a green light. The speed limit was 45 and I couldn't have been going more than 30 or 35. I realized I was going too fast and tried to slow down at the last second by hitting my breaks but it was too late and I fishtailed and went into the opposite turning lane for just a second (I didn't hit anybody, there wasn't anyone around except for the police officer apparently). She pulled me over and gave me a ticket for "careless driving." Admittedly, I could have been driving more carefully, but it is a simple mistake on a spotless driving record. I have never been pulled over until this (I'm 20) and I have never been in an accident. What should I do? Should I plead no contest and try to explain what happened to the judge? $237 seems a bit steep for a simple mistake. I'm just wondering how I should proceed because I've never been through this process before. Also, I can't make the court date (I am going to be 2500 miles away at college). It says on the ticket I can write in a "no contest" plea and there will be a judgement and if they decide to reduce it I will be refunded. What should I do?

S

seniorjudge

If you do not have your vehicle under control, then you can get a ticket for reckless driving. If you had a wreck, then you did not have your vehicle under control.

Your best bet (with your good record) is to talk to the prosecutor and try to get this reduced to some kind of nonmoving violation that will not give you points. You may have to pay more, but it will be worth it (i.e., no points and no insurance increase) in the long run.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">