• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfully trminated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

babyr099

What is the name of your state? New York

I was an employee at Blockbuster Video since 4/2000. I had a total of 3 different supervisors during my time with them. During my time with the second District Leader (DL), Kelly Ringland, I was taught how to reward employees with giftcards using a credit function in the computer. I was taught step by step how to do this procedure (BY THE DISTRICT LEADER). Around july of last year Kelly left my district and a NEW District Leader took over. At that same time I left on Maternity Leave. I returned to work reluctantly in Feb. 04 because I had some childcare issues at the time. This NEW District Leader told me not to worry about it that we could work around the childcare issues. During the time that I was terminated the childcare issues had become a problem for this Dostrict Leader and I was starting to feel like my job was threatened. One day I went into work and she was waiting for me and that is the day she terminated me, she stated that it was for a credit that was a violation of one of their policies. At the time I was so in SHCOK that I didn't think of checking their manual. I explained to her that this is how I was trained to do the credit, and she didnt even bother to verify with my old DL to see whether or not this was true. I explained to her that my old DL had shown this process to others in the district NOT just me and that I wouldn't of done it had I known that it was against the policy. She just terminated me. I just realized that this policy that she is talking about states that Giftcards can't be credited off and given as a gift to CUSTOMERS it says nothing about employees. Right now I am in the process of hearings for unemployment because she is fighting my unemployment, and this is how I came to find out that the actual policy she is saying I violated actually is refering to customers NOT employees. She has stated that I gave the giftcards to employees for covering a shift at my store, and there is documentatioon to prove that. Do you think I have a case for WRONGFUL TERMINATION here???? Please respond ASAP.....Thank You

Beth3

No, you don't remotely have a case for wrongful termination. Terminating you for violating a company policy - even if the policy was not properly explained to you - is not illegal.

pattytx

baby, a friendly suggestion. Never, ever post the name of your employer or any employee names on a public forum. Not only do we not need to know the name of the company and any of the employee's names, you could get into trouble with your company, any named employees, even possibly to the point of legal action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">