• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to stop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mattsme2005

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California
Dept: Upland Police Department
Cited: 10 mph. through a stop sign.
VC22450

I’m 17 years old and have been driving for about a year and a half. I had never been pulled over or received a warning from an officer. I was taking a friend home when a cop pulled me over saying I went 8 mph through a stop sign and was also going "pretty fast" saying it took him a while to ketch up to me (half a block). When I was pulled over, the officer had all his lights on including his two searchlights. Two officers got out and had their flashlights on while looking in my car and being very cautious. The point is I got a ticket for going 10 mph through a stop sign, although he said 8 mph. I'm almost positive I stopped, I was driving a new Civic Hybrid which shuts the engine off at stops, and I always notice when it does so I intentionally make complete stops.

I can’t get this ticket because I was just enrolled at a local auto school, which doesn't like tickets. Second, I just applied to a couple car dealerships wishing for a job which do check your driving history. Third, my parents will remove my auto insurance if the ticket causes my coverage prices to rise.

Well, can anyone help me? Is there any way I can plead with the judge to get out of this ticket?

S

seniorjudge

When you go to court, ask the prosecutor if there is a diversion program or plea bargain where you can plead guilty to a non-moving violation (for which you will have to pay more than the original ticket would've cost).

If the prosecutor has read the police report, however, I wouldn't expect a whole lot.

CdwJava

seniorjudge said:
When you go to court, ask the prosecutor if there is a diversion program or plea bargain where you can plead guilty to a non-moving violation (for which you will have to pay more than the original ticket would've cost).

If the prosecutor has read the police report, however, I wouldn't expect a whole lot.
In CA for traffic infractions there is no prosecutor. The officers conduct the prosecution before a judge or commisioner.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">